Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Retirement

I like this article written by the Instapundit.

It points out that lifespans are going to continue to get longer, making social security funding an increasing problem. He suggests discarding the retirement age altogether and having people work until unable, at which point disability benefits could kick in. Sounds good to me.

By the way, as a person in my twenties, I don't consider Social Security part of my retirement plans. I expect to have to provide for my own retirement. The program should probably be available as a safety net, but no one who lives above the poverty line should be entitled to benefits.

Personal Accounts would have to be handled very carefully. I'm not oppossed to gradually phasing them in for people under fifty. Basically a mandated 401k. Maybe it should be on top of existing tax?? If Bush has anything to do with changes, he'll bungle it like he does everything else and probably bankrupt the program altogether.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home