Saturday, July 09, 2005

Perfect Parent

I had a realization as I was walking. I was thinking about God's Plan vs Worldly Demands. I walked past roadkill and breathed exhaust fumes, wondering why God would allow bad things to happen. If he's in control of everything, why is the world so messed up?

The answer is the world is not really all that messed up. Even when things seem bad, God is allowing them to happen for a reason, even if we don't know what the reason is. Another important thing to remember that God is the perfect parent. He gave us free will. He allows us to make our own decisions and make our own mistakes. He rarely interferes and simply nudges once in a while if necessary. He refuses to be overly protective and only helps when we ask Him to. He never criticizes and is always loving and supportive. (Sidenote: I count myself extremely fortunate to have parents that also have all these qualities.)

I also got to thinking about evil. I don't believe anything is inherently evil. Nothing is bad in and of itself. Take the nuclear bomb for example. Even though it was created for destruction, the very first time it was used, it ended a war and ushered in peace. If Great Britain had the bomb in 1939, they could have used it when Hitler invaded Poland. After a few German cities had been destroyed, Hitler would have backed down and World War II would have been avoided. Once the bomb was used once, it's mere existence prevented conflicts from escalating to large scale wars because everybody feared nuclear war.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home