Thursday, July 07, 2005

Are we Alone?

Whether we are alone in the universe is one of those big questions that can not be definitively answered. The Drake Equation is often used to estimate the number of extraterrestrial civilizations in our galaxy with which we might come in contact. I can't quite figure out how Drake used that equation to estimate 10,000 civilization. The way I look at in a universe of at least 200 billion stars in our galaxy alone and a theoretically infinite number of galaxies, intelligent life had to appear Somewhere. Even if it only occurs .0000001 % of the time, there would still be over 200 other civilizations out there! The only way you can deny the possiblitity is a extremely literal translation of religious beliefs.

Traditional religious people who belief in the Creation will probably argue that God created the Earth and that it is the only place he created life. However, to me, there is nothing to suggest that God only created life here. You can believe in Creation and still believe in Extra Terrestials. I found a site that tries to reconcile the Bible and astrophysics, I haven't spent much time there yet, but it looked like it might have some interesting points.

By the way, I also believe that Creationism and Evolution do Not contradict each other. I don't think God created the earth in 6 days is intended to be interpreted literally. A "day" could be thousands or millions of years. I think Moses (or God speaking to Moses) was just keeping it simple so it could be understood at the time. I think natural selection is a tool that God uses to control his creation. Let creation evolve on its own and just poke your finger in once in a while to give it a nudge if you don't like where it's going.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home