Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Supreme Court Nominees

I wanted to find out who the possible nominees are.

Of course, Alberto Gonzales, Bush's lawyer and good buddy gets a lot of attention. Right Wing groups are lobbying against him as too moderate. That's a positive recommendation, as far as I'm concerned. However, I don't think he'll be nominated. I don't think the job fits his temperament/style/competencies. He strikes me as a lawyer, not a judge. He'd rather be arguing cases, not deciding them. I'm not sure if Bush appointing him to Texas Supreme Court and then bringing him to Washington a year later supports or denies that theory.

The Volokh Conspiracy is suggesting Alex Kozinski. There's other interesting posts on the Supreme Court as well. I found the post on the process Clinton went through informative, for instance.

Based on two hours of internet research and using the AP Short List as the "ballot", I vote for James Harvie Wilkinson III. Although I don't think Bush will choose someone from this list. I think he'll try to find a woman. I hope he picks a moderate conservative. But given his history of appointments, I think he'll go for someone controversial, just to see if he can get away with it, which he probably will.

Other Candidates:
Larry Thompson
Michael McConnel
Michael Luttig
Samuel Alito
Edith Jones
Emilio Garza
Theodore Olson

Underneath Their Robes offers a good summary of potential nominees. They also offer some unconventional recommendations, be sure to check it out!

The Supreme Court Nomination Blog provides pretty detailed summaries of each candidate. The links are on the navigation bar on the right.

Other sites I found, some funny, some serious:
Talk Left
Blogs for Bush
Sadly No
Melanie Kirkpatrick, Wall Street Journal

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home